Monday, January 4, 2010

Advertising

I have found a calling.

(It would be really nice if I could believe that this is my only calling, or the best calling, or the most important calling, or the one I'll enjoy most, but I know better than to make statements with superlative words when I'm talking about myself.)

During opening exercises in YW's yesterday, I told the person conducting that I had an announcement. (In a loud voice.) She said, okay, what is it. I stared at her. "It's a secret until I announce it. I just wanted you to know I have one."

She said: "Okay." And went on to do her other conducting things. Which proves that I've thoroughly broken in this YW group. My work here is almost complete.

When it was announcement time, I stood up and said in my sweetest voice, "For those of you who don't know me, my name is Peaches," and I wrote it on the board. Then I wrote my email and my home phone number.

"I am advertising," I announced. (It's fun to announce. I want to do it more often.) "I've got my Personal Progress finished already, but as so-and-so said, they're coming out with something new called the Honor Bee, and I really want one." [Note: These are not exactly my words, but this is the gist of it.] "I am looking for people who want/need a mentor. As a mentor, my services include encouraging you, reminding you, nagging you, helping you, finding ways to do more than one goal at once- leaders, if you didn't want to hear that, just close your ears- cornering leaders to sign things off, and general mentoring. If you're a Laurel and you want to rush your Personal Progress so you don't have to work on it during your Senior year- that's what I did and I can help you with that. If you're a Beehive-" Here I looked at the back of the room- "I love you guys! I'll help you too! I don't care if I know you or not. I don't care if you don't know me. You will know me by the time we're done, which may or may not be a good thing, but we'll take care of that when we get there. And that's all."

And then I sat down.

Advertising is fun.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you really DO have them trained! I would have totally taken you up on that. Has anyone asked yet?

    ReplyDelete